Whilst in San Diego, Rotary’s 21 Australian district governors resolved – at the request of our District 9650 governor Maurie Stack – to undertake a national campaign to support organ and tissue donations by promoting DonateLife Week from 2 August 2015 to 9 August 2015.
Did you know:
- One organ and tissue donor can transform the lives of 10 or more people.
- Australia is a world leader for successful transplant outcomes.
- Around 1,500 people are on Australian organ transplant waiting lists at any time.
- In 2014, 378 organ donors gave 1,117 Australians a new chance in life. The number of organ donors and transplant recipients in 2014 was the second highest since national records began.
- The majority of Australians are generally willing to become organ (76%) and tissue (76%) donors.
- Less than 1% of people die in hospital in the specific circumstances where organ donation is possible. The circumstances in which you can become a tissue donor are less limited.
- In Australia the family of every potential donor will be asked to confirm the donation decision of their loved one before donation can proceed.
- The most important thing that helps a family’s decision is their knowing the donation decision of their loved one.
- In Australia more than 60% of families give consent for organ and tissue donation to proceed.
- The majority of Australians (69%) have now discussed their donation decision with their family.
- Of the 51% of Australians that know the donation decisions of their loved ones, 94% would uphold these decisions.
- Every family who is offered the opportunity of donation is able to receive dedicated support from DonateLife Donor Family Support Coordinators, whether or not donation proceeds.
- The quality of care for a potential donor at the end of his or her life, and the wishes of their family, is always the foremost consideration of those involved, and is never compromised by the potential for organ and tissue donation.
The Australian Organ and Tissue Authority has prepared the following short animation about organ and tissue donation in Australia.
Coffs City Rotary encourages everyone to register as an organ donor.
Thank you for your support. Together we can make a real difference to much needed organ and tissue donations. Be a gift to the world.